Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Something I Love (3.1)

Guess what, everyone! My paper is finished!
It only took me forever and a day, but I'm finally experiencing that feeling to which I referred in my most recent post. (Wait... did you read that post? You should if you haven't, or else this post might not make any sense.) Of course this feeling of completion wouldn't be quite so grand if I didn't have a dear sister named Rebecca.

Wait. What does Rebecca have to do with this?!

Well, friends. She is basically one of the nicest people I know. And she did a few things to make my life easier/better.
  1. She a great help to me as I wrote the paper. Having a sister in the class with you is very convenient when you have questions about the format or what the rubric is asking for. She was very patient with all of my confusion and questions.
  2. She told me "Good Luck" more times than I can count. Knowing that Rebecca was so positive that I could finish it really helped me get down and do the dirty work.
  3. She made me laugh while I was writing the 'pape.' Not only did we send various emails back and forth to each other (all with the same subject line, of course.... you know how this family loves those chain emails [i.e., "Christmas for Mom"]), but she shared with me this hilarious email she wrote to one of our classmates. Bear with me for the explanation on this one.... So on Blackboard, one of the tools available is emailing your classmates, teachers, and TAs. This particular class (and various others I've been in) is full of a bunch of lazy people who think that sending out a mass email to the entire class is a wise idea. We've gotten emails this semester that say things from "I was sick and missed lecture. Can someone please send me the notes for ___ day?" to one of the most recent ones of "I'm having a hard time finding what a socially competent 10-year old is like. Can someone email me your notes or what you found?" This last question was the first third of our paper! If this kid hasn't heard where to find that information in class or at a help session for writing the paper, it's his own fault. He shouldn't be trying to cheat the information off of his classmates so that he can start his paper a few days before it's due. Anyway, I brought this whole story up because Rebecca finally got fed up with these dumb emails and let this kid know what she thought about his mass email. Then she forwarded it to me. :) I laughed really hard and I was glad that someone was brave enough to tell this kid to straighten up!
  4. She stayed up later than neccessary (I know it was long past her usual bedtime) to make me a wonderful surprise! I got a text from her at about 12:40 am saying that when I was done with my paper I should take a break outside, preferably outside the side door of my building. When I went down, this is what I found:
(It says: "Dear Heidi, Finishing the paper was quite a FAST BREAK! After MOUNDS of hours, you must be in a state of JOY. I hope you SKOR well on your "pape." With CRUNCH time at the end of the semester, remember that I love you to PIECES. XOXO")

What an awesome sister! Thank you, Rebecca, for being so sweet and caring. You are so considerate of others all the time. You will make a fabulous missionary, and I can't wait to see where you are going when you open your call tomorrow!! I love you!

6 comments:

  1. Awwwww!! I heart Becky, too! Isn't she cute!
    P.S. Can she forward the mean email to me? I think I would enjoy hearing her let the lazy classmate have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes yes yeah yeah! Me wanna read email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I LOLed when I just saw the new subtitle of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you should've said those nice things about me because I was pretty blunt in my email. Here's what I said:
    "Okay, first of all, find a friend in the class or visit TA office hours to get help. Please please don't email the entire class from Blackboard. It's quite annoying.
    Secondly, If you've been paying attention in class or attending any of the TA review sessions on the paper, then you'd know how to find what a socially competent 10-yr old looks like. I'm not going to give you help, and I hope our classmates also realize that giving you the "answers" to the paper would be cheating (which, of course, is against the honor code).
    So, I'm sorry you're getting the brunt of my annoyance right now, but I really think this "email entire class" feature on Blackboard should be eliminated. It annoys students who actually pay attention. Good luck finishing the paper; too bad you've saved it until the last minute."

    I'm glad Heidi got a kick out of it! She sent me an email through Blackboard (just to me, though) that said this:
    "hi everyone i was just wondering if you could write my paper four me cause i really just dont want to do it and you seem like a smart enough and nice enough class to do it for me thanks for the help
    Heidi Blake"
    If it hadn't been for her name signed at the bottom, I almost would've believed that it was a true plea from a desperate student. I mean, it sounds just like one! And it even had awful spelling, punctuation and capitalization like most of these mass emails do anyway! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, you are awesomely sweet to peeps who deserve it, and quite blunt to ppl who also deserve that! Heidi is lucky to have you for a sister.

    ReplyDelete