Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Friday's Kids

For my American Heritage service hours, I spent three different Friday nights volunteering at a place in Orem called Friday's Kids. This place is designed for families with children who have special needs, and the volunteers come and get partnered up with a kid. Basically I just played with a really cute kid for three and a half hours each week.

The second week I was there I played with and 11-year old named Makay. I wish I had my camera with me, because he was such a cute kid. He was also very bright, and knew the words to basically any Disney song. We spent a lot of our time coloring, and his pictures were very nice.


One of the things I started coloring was my name. After I outlined it all and did some stripes on my "H," Makay looked over and very cutely said, "May I help you finish that?" He spent probably 30+ minutes coloring it, because he was being so careful about making it perfect with just the right stripes. Here is the finished product:

He added the heart at the end all by himself. Didn't he do a great job?

Volunteering, especially with children and special ed kids is so much fun. Do you have any good stories about volunteering (with children or not)?

6 comments:

  1. wow, that's so sweet. it almost makes me wish i was doing something more social for my service hours.
    Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh by the way... these comments from "Jane" are from me. Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sweet. He did a good job on the coloring.

    I liked volunteering with the band. Being a band mom was really fun. Getting to know the band members, as well as the other band parents, was a fun way to spend volunteer time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sweet. You should hang on to that drawing so you can remember the great time you had serving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. I already threw it away, Bec. I figured a picture of it on my blog would be remembering it enough without having to keep up with a sheet of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Chelsea... didn't you say you were working on acquiring a blog?

    ReplyDelete