Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Happy Early Birthday!

A while ago I realized how unfair it is that I have to grow up. For instance, I had to register to vote and renew my license before I'm even 18 since I'm leaving Midland before my birthday.

But, shame of all shames, I realized the other day the biggest downfall of turning 18 after I leave home: No birthday presents!! All of my siblings got 18 years of "parties," including a nice dinner, presents, and a cake. I, however, was stuck with the knowledge of the 'lucky' fortune of just getting money mailed to me for my birthday. Whoopie. (Realize as you read this that I'm really not as greedy as this is making me out to be.)

However, you know that lady I like to call Marm? You know, Mommie, Mother, Mom..... that one. She's a pretty awesome lady. You know what she pulled on me? An early birthday celebration!

Today after church, I offered to help Mom make dinner (I usually do, me being the great daughter that I am :D). She said, "Why don't you go do something that you need to do before you leave and let me worry about dinner?" I knew we were having pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner, but I didn't realize the secretive purpose Mom had for making them. I thought she just loved me and knew I be missing that amazing meal while at college. However, after she said the blessing on the food, she broke out in singing "Happy Birthday" to me. She proudly announced that this was my birthday dinner (hence why I couldn't help prepare it). Tricky McTrickster, she is.

For my "cake" (neither of us really love actual cake) she had made a chocolate cheesecake. I had printed off the recipe for her to make a long time ago, and when I asked why she was finally making it Saturday night, she pulled the "I figured I should make it before you leave" line. It was Delicious (notice the capital "D," 'cause it deserves one it was so good)! I even got to put 18 candles in my slice (not an easy feat).

Later Mom came up to me and said, "So where do you want to open your presents?" I didn't realize presents were involved!! What a nice mother. Turns our she had been planning this for a few days, and had some fun shopping for me at Office Depot. She bought me office supplies that I can use in my dorm. But, clever as she is, she bought smaller items so I can easily take them to Utah with me. I got a 3-hole punch, a little tape dispenser (it's so cute!), colored Sharpies, Sharpie pens (new, non-bleeding Sharpies), glue sticks, one of those expanding files so I can put my papers in it, some magnets, paper clips, and push pins, a miniature stapler (with colored staples! :D), and a funny card. She did a great job making me have a great "birthday!"

Thanks, Mom!

10 comments:

  1. It was fun for me, too. I had fun looking for small but useful things at Office Depot. Glad it was somewhat of a surprise, even though you knew I was making the cake, and you knew I was making pork chops and mashed potatoes. I love you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! Happy early birthday! When do you actually leave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but does that make anyone else cry? I love you mom, and I've been thinking of you as Heidi is leaving soon. Thank you for all that you always do for us, especially in trying to make Heidi's last year the best, considering the circumstances. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Emily, your comment made me tear up!!

    That was a really sweet thing to do, Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are both pretty much awesome! Now, us Utah sibs can't even one-up you on Heidi's birthday celebration. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only Emily can make a comment that makes everyone else cry...

    Happy birthdee, hildee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you've been tagged! (see my blog...)

    ReplyDelete