Then in ninth grade when I started attending Seminary in the mornings, I met with the other two wards in Midland, so Dionna and I were again brought into each others' lives. I remember thinking that she was quite the person, and that she was a lot of fun. However, since it had been such a long time since fourth grade and since we went to different high schools, I didn't interact much with her besides the occasional chat in Seminary.
Part way through my sophomore year, the wards were realligned and Dionna's family came into the Midland 3rd Ward with us. Dionna's dad was our new bishop, and poor Dionna was one of the very few Young Women to move over to the new ward (old ward + new boundaries = a brand new ward, after all). I can't imagine being in her situation! After 16 years of being in one ward and having friends there, being isolated and moving to a new ward must have been really tough. Again, I noticed her great personality and willingness to be enthusiastic at YW events despite these "unfair disadvantages."
Soon, the three of us girls (Randee, Audrey, and I) my age who had already been in the ward together 'adopted' Dionna as our own. And boy, let me tell you what a great friend Dionna became! She moved into the ward right before my dad passed away, and it was wonderful having a kind friend like her to lean on. In Seminary we usually sat next to each other. I admit, sometimes we talked a little too much in class, but it was really fun having a spiritual person like her next to me.
Now, we're both at BYU, we both have our parents on missions, we both have a sister on a mission, we are both the youngest of 8 kids, and we both have All Sports Passes together! We got all painted up in celebration of Homecoming a few weeks ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment