Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Fourth

Sometimes the nerd in me comes out when I think about life and transform it to statistics. Am I the only one who does this? Today I choose the number 1/4. Here's how it can tie in to my life:
  • Today marks the day that I have lived 25% of my age without my dad. Five years ago today I was quietly napping in his hospital room, dreaming a very peaceful dream, when he passed away. Do the math and you can figure out my age.
  • A fourth of the original 8 Blake kids live where I live. As in, Rebecca and I are holding down the "Living with a Sibling" fort.
  • My apartment has one fourth of its residents who are engaged (or dating, for that matter).
  • 1/4 cup of food is often too small for my liking. Since I'm in NDFS 100 right now, I've been having to keep track of the food that I eat for a few days. I kind of hate the assignment, 'cause measuring food and feeling guilty for little snacks that I might forget to write down is not fun.
  • This semester is 1/4th completed. Crazy. And the death-level of assignments, tests, papers, and homework I've had to do the past few days is proof that my teachers all think right now is a good time to measure what we've learned so far.
  • This week I've had roughly a fourth of my total life hours be in sleep. That sounds cool, but when you think about how much sleep I'm advised to get, I'm far under-rested. The 17 hours of sleep I've had since Sunday (counting that 1.5 hr nap today) is not enough for me to properly function.
  • "Did you know that one in four dentists say that studying in the library is a six bajillion times more effective than studying in the shower?" (And maybe the real quote from here says "8 out of 5 dentists," but I had to make it work for my theme...) Steven Jones, the guy in that video, is a huge celebrity at BYU. From a newspaper article today, I found out that he was once one of the Cosmo mascots. Now that he's graduated, that information is public, I guess. Cool. Plus, have you ever studied in the shower? It's kind of fun. Just tape up a copy of the desired page on your far shower wall, and you've got reading material to tease your brain while you scrub your scalp. I should know since I used to do that in high school. Surprisingly, I memorized quite a few scripture mastery verses that way...
  • More than 1/4th of the BYU Basketball game is probably over, so I should go watch it and see how we're doing! See ya!

5 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous post! I love you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another 1/4th of your apartment likes this post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got the idea to study in the shower from me, didn't you?! I did that for Bio tests in high school.

    And I'm one-fourth of the way up from you in the lineup of the original 8 Blake kids. And I'm 4 ears older than you, which is the reciprocal of 1/4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. The nerd in you just came out.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it (and agree with Lees).

    ReplyDelete